It's expensive to eat right!
Fortunately, we aren't limited to the foods the Atkins company supplies. While it is true that high carb foods tend to be the cheapest to produce and market, there's no reason why a dedicated Atkins plan participant can't find everything he or she needs at the local supermarket. Granted, when you first start on induction, having a low carb protein bar or shake handy can help you survive those sugar cravings until you go into ketosis, but as you move into Maintenance, you should have no trouble finding enough food to complete a varied menu.
I noticed in the new catalog that the Atkins Center now offers a service in California where they will ship a full day's worth of meals to your door every day. The cost?
Not only is this outrageously expensive, I think it also hurts your long term chances for success. The Atkins Plan is more than a diet; it's a new lifestyle. Along with a new way of eating, you have to learn a new way of shopping and cooking. Eating prepackaged meals makes that impossible.
Now for my numbers. I didn't hit my goals this week as far as carbs. I planned on increasing my carbs to 30 grams per day, but due to a hectic week, I actually averaged around 20 grams. I averaged just under 2100 cal/day, which is right around where I want to keep it. I lost 4 more pounds, down to 254, and put another notch in my belt. Goal for next week is to make 30 grams/day and lose 3 pounds to 251 lbs.
ATKINS MYTH #3
The reason people lose weight on Atkins is they get bored with a limited menu.
This myth is usually a follow to myth 2, that Atkins is a low calorie diet in disguise, again used by surprised researchers to explain why a diet so high in fat results in weight loss, and again, simply not true.
What follows is a list of the meals I've eaten over the last 5 weeks. See if it sounds boring or limited to you. Breakfasts
- low carb toast with 1 tbl no-sugar-added orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup blueberries in 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 egg omelette with 2 oz ham, 1/4 cup mushrooms sauteed in butter, 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1 tbl sour cream, 1 tbl salsa.
- blueberry protein bar
- 2 scrambled eggs w/cheese, 4 slices bacon
- Crustless quiche w/ sausage, bacon, and cheese
- Chicken salad on pork rinds
- Tuna salad with a side salad (lettuce, spinach, 5 grape tomatoes, 1/4 cup mushrooms, 1/4 cup bell peppers, 1 radish, 1/4 cucumber, 2 tbls real bacon bits, 1/8 cup soy nuts, and 3 tbls caesar dressing)
- Ham salad w/ mustard
- Barbequed beef with low carb barbeque sauce.
- Double bacon cheeseburger w/o bun
- French onion soup
- macadamia nuts
- low carb protein shakes
- soy nuts
- pork rinds w/ salsa
- Beef jerky
- 12 oz NY strip, blackened w/ bleu cheese dressing
- dinner salads same as lunch salad, only twice the size, and add 1/3 cup cheese.
- 12 oz roasted pork loin with creamed spinach and a side salad
- lemon pepper grilled chicken breast with mixed greens
- asparagus tips sauteed in butter and garlic
- broiled salmon
- pot roast w/o potatoes and carrots, but with mushrooms, onions and peppers.
- fried chicken with low carb breading
- Chili w/o beans
Desserts (yes, desserts)
- Chocolate mousse w strawberries
- Lo carb peanut butter cups
- Lo carb cheesecake w crushed pecan crust
- coconut macarroons
- Dark chocolate mousse with a hint of orange
The trick lies in taking familiar recipes and modifying them to remove the carbs. Replace sugar with Splenda, or other sucralose sweeteners. They do not break down under heat, like aspartame, so you can bake with them. Replace white flour with a blend of soy and whole wheat flours, gluten, or use ready made mixes. Replace starchy veggies with leafy greens, or, if you're in Maintenance, with legumes which provide a significant amount of protein along with the carbs.
If you look at what I've eaten, you can see that you really don't have to give up that much. The only reason for dietary boredom to set in is if you don't make the effort to learn how to cook differently, and let yourself fall into a dull routine.
Look at the above list, and think how much more restrictive a low fat diet is!